Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What if this is as good as it gets?

Jack Nicholson's gravelly voice speaking those lines has played in my head the last two times I've left my therapist's office. If it weren't so cliche, I'd actually say it out loud. If I thought it were true, I'd.... I don't know. It had better not be true.

So today she and I had this wierd little conversation where I grouped my psychiatrist (not to be confused with her, my therapist/LCSW) in with gay men as a social group. And she said, "Did he share that with you?"

I looked at her like she was stupid and said, "I haven't been "best friends" whether he wants to call it that or not with [various gay men, actually, though we were only talking about one person at the time] for the past 10 years for nothing."

"Pretty well developed gaydar, huh?"

"Duh."

So now that that's out of the way we can move right along...

God. It's so stupid that it's such a big deal, and that sexual orientation affects our world so damn strongly. Get over it. I don't care who anyone's sleeping with as long as everyone is nice to me and other people.

And if a few more people could be functionally nice to me, that would be just fine.

No comments: