Thursday, December 14, 2006

Bad Poetry & The Writing Process

  • I know the poem below sucks.
  • It only sucks in its current form, which was written in a quick bit of time before a 9:30 a.m. yoga class for which I was nearly late because I lost track of time.
  • Blogging is publishing and thereby gives people access to my writing--even the crappy stuff.
    • It may not be a good idea to write directly into the blog.
    • Writing directly into the blog could teach people the writing process.
    • Because of today's technology, very few artists will live in posterity by their scribbled notes of song lyrics or poetic phrases and their revisions because those re-creations and deletions never exist outside the backspace button, the author's fingers and the computer screen.
    • I pushed the backspace button at least 76 times (I just counted) in writing the last two bulletpoints.
    • I will leave my crappy poem "published" so that readers can at least observe my writing process--insofar as the computer allows it to exist visually.
    • I will still write some thoughts or poems or lyrics or stories in a paper journal because while everyone can have this font, only I have my handwriting, crossout-lines included, and I love seeing Tupac's childhood scrawl and John Lennon's beginnings-of-some-things in a museum.
  • ...just so you know.

No comments: