Saturday, December 23, 2006

NEVER GO TO CAFE LOMA

I just got a call from Mr. Rodriquez (supposedly a co-owner of the coffee shop) who told me that despite Atousa accepting my art and storing it in the back of her coffee shop for the night (rather than hanging it as she had promised) he does not approve of it and so will not be hanging it in his shop.

He gave me this ridiculous and condescending line about rejection being difficult and everyone having their own taste. I assured him I did not need his validation to know that my painting is beautiful. I simply asked him what was wrong with it for his shop. He said it was a problem that there were nude figures because children go to that shop. That coffee shop. I said, "Oh, and children do not see human figures ever."

The only truly nake woman in the art is a sitting pink acrylic, titled, "Cure." As is Race for the Cure. As in Cure Breast Cancer. As in inspired by my own needle biopsy, mammogram and lumpectomy of the summer which (praise Jesus & God) found me to be cancer free. As in a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

So, don't go there. The coffee was not that good and the service was actually quite rude and abrupt. I had chalked it up to a busy day, but apparently it is simply a part of owner's personality.

I will be picking my paintings up from their back hallway as soon as they open tomorrow morning.

Cheers and happy holidays to all you sane and openminded art lovers out there.

Love,
Olaina

1 comment:

OakMonster said...

What an ass. Well, I believe in karma and the power of a blog (eventually someone's going to read your review of the cafe here), so boo to him.

And Merry Christmas to you, my talented artist of a friend. :)