Sunday, April 22, 2007

Workaholics Anonymous

I could be the President of the organization, but no one would show up because we'd all be at work.

You can take the workaholic out of the job, but you can't take the workaholic out of the worker.

*sigh*

I'm hoping to learn the same lesson faster this time, so that I don't have to make the same mistake twice. You know, like that thing I think they say in alcoholics anonymous about insanity being when a person does the same thing over and over again, each time hoping for a different result.

I told ya'll I got hired to do modeling and to edit a magazine the same week I started hostessing at one of the busiest restaurants in town, right? Plus I still walk a dog (three starting tomorrow), mystery shop and do my art/photography thing.

Well, it turns out having four or five or six bosses isn't a great idea. There's some churchy saying about having too many masters, or serving too many masters or something like that, but all I've got to say is, "Holy God. What have I gotten myself into?"

All of the bosses said they were glad I had other work as well, since the jobs are all part time. Some are more part time than others--for instance, I'm not going to pay rent or even food bills on walking dogs, unless we start eating top ramen a lot, and that's just not in the cards of 32 year old married people. I could do a lot more modelling and that would be decent money, but I'd need to balance it with a decent amount of yoga, because my body gets a bit cranky about staying in one position for three hours ("body face this way, head turn that way. OK, now move your hand down a little, and put your leg over there. Yeah, like that. You OK? Good."). Seriously.

And of course I LOVE the editing job. The place I work in has a great vibe--nothing like a newsroom, more like a peaceful zen garden art studio candle store where pets are welcome. And then there's the bit about the words and the photos and art and stuff--which of course I groove on like nobody's business.

Then there's the restaurant job, which I also love. It's very high energy, the people I work with and the people who go there are fun, I like serving everyone and helping people and socializing, and I like keeping everything clean and nice for everyone. It's a very smiley bubbly hyper huggable time.

What's a girl to do?

G'night kids.

1 comment:

oakmonster said...

I kind of see the hostess job being the next one to get ixnayed. Everything else seems to go with what you've been doing. You know, the arts, the writing, the puppies.

Whatever it is you decide to do, I'm with ya!