Saturday, August 04, 2007

Mommy Memories--forts and flashlights

I was just reading a book... forget the title.... Mermaid Seat maybe? and in it the mom used to build a fort with the table covered with a sheet when it was storming outside. Then, she'd read to her son and daughter by flashlight while they lay there looking up at a crucifix she'd nailed to the table bottom and they'd feel safe.

It reminded me of the forts we used to build with the sheets and furniture--I'm not sure if it was rainy outside when we did that, but it was fun. Then, of course, it reminded me of my greatest childhood rebellion: reading by flashlight after lights out (also fun, until someone took the flashlight away *sigh*). Fortunately, clever little me had a relatively bright clock radio to read by. Ha! Sure got by Mom and Dad!

Now for some reason I have the ABC-song stuck in my head; I guess because I was thinking of childhood things. It's getting a little annoying, but Justin's still sleeping so I won't turn the radio on yet. (Yesterday I went to sleep just after 8 p.m. I was so exhausted from work. We had rented a movie, but then came home and I kept falling asleep on the couch before I even took it out of the box, so maybe today we'll watch it. Justin has to work today--noon to 8 p.m. and he'll probably want to relax afterward.

The night shifts are fun because I get to have my day to myself, but having to wake up early for the puppies really cuts into my sleep. It's good though, because otherwise I'd sleep all day and never get anything done. Diana said I could probably walk them later than 7:30, so I'm going to ask her when that would be. A little more sleep wouldn't kill me. Mo's is great though--I really like working there. I've been campaigning to become a server and was finally told what to do, so now I can relax and focus on being the best host ever and in time I'll be movin' on up. I just like to know what the future looks like. I don't mind waiting. Hard to say whether the money will be that much better, but hopefully.

It's so hard for Justin and I to get away. He's loving Emergency Department (ED) and doing really well, so hopefully UCSD will be our future. A friend of ours was talking to his cousin in Maine and he's in the same stage of medical school so our friend said he should come to UCSD, but the guy said there was "no way he'd get in there!" It really is a tough program, very highly ranked and respected. I'm so proud of Justin. Poor guy though, he's having a tough time with his Mom's death and his Dad's stroke (all within two months). But you know him, he powers through all things. He just needs to be sure to let himself grieve now in the drips and drivels and waves that come over us, rather than holding it all in and exploding later.

OK. That's all for now, I've got to get some work done. Goodbye from the grown-up fortless lightless living room--the windows let in just enough light even when they're closed and the laptop is actually easier to see in the relative darkness.




No comments: