Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A New Year

Fascinating.

I think perhaps school started this week.

I got some paperwork about it--all the teacher's meetings and greetings--and I shredded it. (Just for fun.)

But it occurs to me as I prepare my Jungle Costume for required dress up day on Sunday before Labor Day that somewhere there are teenagers choosing their outfits for school, there are teachers already grading papers, and there are lessons being planned.

Meanwhile, last night around 8 p.m. when I got tired I went to bed, brought my book (just finished it--The Mermaid Chair--it's excellent!) and told Justin, "This is such an amazingly logical thing. I'm an adult, I'm tired, I'm going to sleep, instead of forcing myself to stay up for hours and hours doing homework. It took me 32 and a half years to figure it out, but I did."

"For some people it takes a lot longer to learn," he said.

"Yeah, but almost 33 years!"

Then I read and went to sleep.

Today, on the other hand, I'm up waiting for Justin to get home.

This is absolutely not something I can continue to do--especially since I have my own weird hours job and since his hours are going to get even worse when he starts working on the anesthesiology rotation.

But, I have time to ponder my year... strangely without a lesson plan to carry me through June but even more interestingly without a horrible feeling of loneliness and remorse because I can't teach this year.

I have two art shows coming up: Sept. 8, Ray at Night and Sept. 15 & 16 the University Heights Arts Open.

I'm hoping to use the opportunity to sell some work, but also to market my wedding, event and portrait photography.

Two years ago we were welcoming into our classroom students who had fled Hurricane Katrina. I had one of them in English.

Now, I have modeling, restaurant, photography and painting jobs lined up and today I purchased a Halloween costume. (To be revealed later!)

I have to say though, that the most amazing thing that happened today, is that while I was shopping I realized that I might actually fit into girls' size clothes. You know, there's all those articles about how kids are growing faster and bigger than previous generations. Now that I'm a whole generation ahead of at least one kids' line of clothing, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I fit into girls' extra large! Boys large! Seriously!

I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid....

To tell you the truth, I kind of got the idea from Oakley. She can fit into a 6X at the smallest, but I'm really quite satisfied with anything from the girls' department. The clothes are less expensive, cute as in the juniors or women's section, plus they fit.

1 comment:

oakmonster said...

I'm telling you! I ALWAYS shop at the girls' at Target. :)