Wednesday, October 17, 2007

When old people fall down....

it hurts so much more than when we were younger and closer to the ground.

I managed to take photographs from La Jolla to San Ysidro without getting hurt. To capture all those images I lay down on the sidewalk, I leaned over the fence of a pier, I stood on utility boxes and in traffic--either in the street or the center divide. I even touched a spiderweb. Yes, a spider had to be moved because it was in the way of allowing a sculpture to be beautiful as possible.

Today, I ran ahead of my camera-shy parents to capture them and Justin on film as they walked downtown San Diego and as I turned on the rain-slicked sidewalk I fell face down on the concrete. Yes, I managed to protect my camera. In fact, the hand that was holding it is merely bruised along the pinky-finger side and back. Additionally, I managed to make my right elbow bleed (despite the jean jacket and black sweater that did not even tear) and bruised most of that area plus my right hip. Meanwhile, for some reason my left shoulder and neck hurt when I move and a little when I don't. Same with that wrist.

I might even get my first black eye.

My protected camera did hit the ground and quickly turn upward even as my face went downward. So, my right eye orbit and side of the bridge of my nose is swollen. It was throbbing, but now it just hurts if I do serious things to it, like put on my sunglasses or turn my head quickly. Or slowly. Or in the wrong direction.

I know it won't turn colors. But I am curious to see...

Justin P. Anderson, MS IV, checked me out and noted that my wrists and ankles (all owwies) bend properly, my face doesn't hurt if it's touched in certain spots, and I can still see--so I'm OK, technically. And then he noted that I did have a nasty bruise on my left side.

"That's weird. I didn't fall on that side there." I turned to look. "Oh, that's leftover from when Stan and Yaz knocked me down last week."

Of course, when I fell down (right in front of the restaurant where we were going to have brunch), I rolled over and got up as fast as I could. My parents and Justin were all concerned about my body, while I was concerned about my camera and totally embarrassed about having frightened the patio diners who were audibly startled.

I feel like a five-year-old trying to act like a 32-year-old and a 32-year-old acting like a five-year-old.

Waaaaaah! I fell down! I have an owwie! Ouch! That hurts! Mooooooooommmmmmmmmmy!

Of course she continued to insist that I ice myself (in the restaurant) until I finally responded, "OK. If I put ice on my elbow will you stop talking about ice?" So now my bleeding elbow is the one part that isn't throbbing. But what was I supposed to do? Go lie in there walk-in freezer?

I have to stop whining though, or the Marine I married, the one with half a left foot who had a little procedure done to a small infection on his right foot yesterday, is going to get really tired of my "precious" [his word, when he's not aggravated with his own painful owwies] ways.

1 comment:

oakmonster said...

The accident prone high jinx left your husband and got into you, I see...