Tuesday, December 04, 2007

My kind of town?

Chicago is?

Chicago is a gorgeous city. I knew that before I arrived here for the second time. Last time, I had the advantage of beautiful weather--San-Diego-like weather of sunshine and warmth and a simple breeze. Even when we arrived Sunday, Justin was shocked and vociferously cold while I marched along with bravado: 'It's not that cold, it's fine, I would have bought you a scarf to go with your beanie, but you said you weren't a scarf person.'

But yesterday, as the hours passed in the blasts of icy wind hit us in the 30 degree Fahrenheit weather (-1C !!!), my tolerance waned. First we bought gloves for me and a scarf for him. We had to continue in the quest for gloves for him because the ones at the GAP and Eddie Bauer did not fit well. Finally, at Macy's (formerly Marshall Field's) he got gloves that are made to be able to use your cell phone and MP3 player with ease. There are little buttons on the thumb and forefingers!

Still, by 5 p.m. we were both painfully cold. We had walked the Magnificent Mile from the Tribune building to Macy's and back to Millennium Park while I shot photos and he waited patiently and also guarded me (he said it was my day--since today and tomorrow he's out interviewing all day) while I knelt and stopped in the middle of the street if I saw a good view. We finally retreated to our hotel and decided to eat at Shula's--one of the best steakhouses in the United States--so that we didn't have to suffer the chilling blasts on the walk to Ditka's (another sports worshippers' steakhouse.)

Now, the question is how does a girl like me spend a day like this?

I could go to the museums or just trudge around taking more photos of the architecture and holiday decorations. But it's below freezing out there. A snow advisory is starting this afternoon, but until it does we've got the wind that is blowing the "weather system" toward us. I don't want to go out into the wind to get to anything. I want to go back to sleep. It's two hours earlier in my real world. After some rest I can work on some preparations for my art shows.

We shall see. I will post photos as soon as I upload them.

The good news, Justin would have to see an extraordinary program here to be persuaded to move to Chicago.

It is at least 40 degrees warmer at home.

1 comment:

Penny said...

The glove thing is the funniest thing that I have heard. I guess I am not as gadget oriented as some other folks obviously are!