Sunday, January 20, 2008

Contests

There's some debate, but according to one study, tomorrow is the most depressing day of the year. It's because of the weather, the consumer debt, the crazy politics and so forth.

There's something to look forward to.

Another study says that the most depressing day was before Thanksgiving, based on the number of web hits on sites regarding "depression" or "anti-depressants."

There's something to think about.

Me, I'm sad because my Chargers lost. Worse, they lost to the cheaters and mean people: The New England Patriots with the coach cheater and the fans who got so rowdy last game that the ER guys from Harvard who work the game had to intubate a guy in the bathroom because he got beat up so badly he wasn't even breathing anymore.

And we wonder why this nation is so embarrassingly ripped apart morally (and that would be by the Christian right....) and so crappy at being the so-called leaders of the free world.

At least I still have hope for the Green Bay Packers and the upstanding moral character of dear Brett Favre to win this game and the the Super Bowl in two weeks.



Meanwhile, I also have to figure out who to vote for in the February 5, 2008, presidential primaries. Some one said the world wasn't ready for a Black man or a Woman to be the President yet. Another person said that the shame is that we can make the statement as Democrats that we are ready by voting for Barrack Obama or Hillary Clinton in the primary, but that John Edwards is really the only electable one because of the race and gender issue.

Naturally, this kind of commentary is very sad to me. I want to vote for who I think will be the best President. I do not want to have to consider other people's ability to work with the person because of the person's race or gender identity. But perhaps a smart vote takes those characteristics into consideration. Perhaps America isn't ready for idealism in voting... in politics...

But should we just keep waiting for people to "get ready"? Or should we make them ready? Martin Luther King, Jr., didn't sit around waiting for people to get ready on their own. He helped them along. So maybe we have to keep helping people along and maybe sometimes that means taking a few steps back (it's not like ending up in the Birmingham jail was probably what he had in mind for progress).

Of course there's the cost benefit-analysis: can we endure another Republican president? Especially the ones as scary as those we have running now, just because ignorant people are more comfortable with white skinned old men as leaders?

I guess I have to use my vote as what it is: MY vote. If I think the American citizens are selling out, it doesn't mean I have to sell out. It also doesn't mean I have to vote because of identity as a person of color or as a woman. It means I can vote the way I live--with equal respect for human beings without regard to color or gender or sexual orientation.

In the end, that means I have to do more research on the candidates records, beliefs and plans. It means I have to vote smart (as usual), instead of voting sight.

It means working harder than the average Jane.

No comments: