Saturday, December 13, 2008

A New Chapter... Working Girl

After a nearly two hour interview I decided to take the job working at a non-profit organization that runs after school enrichment programs in the performing arts. I'll be answering phones and doing administrative work, but I might also have the opportunity to work with writing and public relations.

It means I'll be giving up napping all day, working late at night, getting errands like laundry and store runs done during the day, not knowing how much I'll make each shift...

Like everything, the change brings blessings and some worries.

I am so used to napping when I get tired! I can't imagine going through a whole eight hour day in an office. Fortunately, the office is in a home and houses three dogs and a cat, so it's not an extraordinary move to a drab cubicle.

On the other hand, it is rather small and run out of the living room--so the five of us are a little bit on top of each other.

Still, it is a situation I am determined to make the best of, working for the first time in three years in a corporate professional atmosphere.

I am so nervous about the lifestyle change, and whether we'll all get along--getting along is very important in a five person office--and how it's going to be.

I have a commute! It's at least 30-45 minutes to get there, but that would be true of anything outside Redondo Beach; we are not conveniently located. Not near anything but ourselves.

I'm a working girl again, in a different way than I have been as a waitress. In a way it is similar to when I was the Editor-in-Chief of the magazine--though it lasted only a month--because of the small office environment. I hope this boss is more stable than that one.

There's so much to think about, so much to get ready for, so much to rearrange in my once boring life.

Yet, it is a smooth transition into a working life--a small job in a small office, just a step bigger from my small life.

No comments: