Monday, March 21, 2011

Jiggling

I did Stroller Strides today, which was a surprise because it was storming all day yesterday and I thought for sure it was going to be moved to the mall today. I do not work out in the mall, even when it's closed. First, it makes me feel like more of a yuppie than I do just working out with a bunch of new moms. Second, driving to Manhattan Beach from Redondo Beach in the rain just to exercise doesn't make any sense to me. It's about a 30 minute drive in the RAIN. People in California don't know how to drive in the rain, and if I got in an accident on the way to exercise I never would forgive myself.

But today, Diane sent out an e-mail saying it was a beautiful sunny day and we would have class outdoors.

So of course, about 45 minutes into the hour-long class it started to sprinkle. We braved it for a while, continuing to squat and then row using stretchy bands for resistance.

Then it started to really rain. So we moved to the shelter of the (leaky) amphitheater to do our abs and stretches. Standing crunches. I did standing crunches, to "work on that love handle area," as the thin, young, wonderful instructor said.

I have a love handle area.

I've never had love handles before.

I've never jiggled before.

I've heard women talk about their boobs bouncing when they run and thought how nice it would be to have boobs instead of pecs. But now I need new sports bras. Ones with purpose. Even though I couldn't breastfeed because of all the medications I take, I grew during my pregnancy and also got to try to suppress my milk from coming in. So, I bounce.

Worse, perhaps... though... today when we ran up and down the staircase from the beach to the boardwalk, I felt my butt jiggling. I'd gotten used to the tummy jiggling, but, really, my butt? Come on, man!

So, I suppose when I move to Seal Beach I'll have to join Stroller Strides (in Long Beach) or get a jogging stroller and try to learn to run again.

I have always been a thin person, but that cursed/wonderful medicine Abilify has made me a fatty.

I don't want to be a fatty.

More importantly, I want to set a good example for Ella, so she doesn't grow up with body image issues. So I MUST stop saying what a fatty I am and, as a friend said, "Just do something about it."

I'm doing something about it.

Now I just have to work on learning to eat like a person who doesn't have that super fast metabolism I used to enjoy. But that's for another day.

No comments: