Saturday, April 02, 2011

April Fool

If I believed that God paid attention to these types of details, or if I truly believed in karma, I might think that the culmination of yesterday afternoon and evening was a result of our Lenten lapse.

But I'm pretty sure it was just something that happened.

Justin called just after 4 p.m. on a high from getting off work in the Pediatric ER early, since it was blessedly slow. I'm always so happy for the world when he has a slow day at work, because it means people didn't need emergency medical attention, not just that he gets to come home early, or maybe check his e-mail at work.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten our conversation about the possibility that he would come home early, so I was in Seal Beach instead of Redondo.

We decided he would come south to meet us, and then we would have a dinner date while my mom watched Ella.

Then he got a flat tire when he reached Long Beach.

Being a manly man, he changed the tire himself instead of calling AAA. (I am a girly-girl and would have called for help.)

The spare was also flat.

AAA to the rescue.

But, their "emergency" service would take 45 minutes to arrive, and Discount Tire closes at 6 p.m.

So, we had to come up with a plan by which we could get the tire repaired and he could still work for the next three days in a row.

Thus, he drove to my parents house, we switched cars, and I spent the night here in Huntington Beach so that I could take the car to the shop today.

All in all, a nuisance but not severely bad enough to be revenge for drinking during Lent despite our vow to abstain from alcohol.

So, at dinner, he had a beer and I had a martini.

We are going to burn in hell. Right?

Apparently, chucking our Lenten promise, isn't in the spirit of Lent, but neither was giving in on Thursday night.

So, I'm back at the conundrum of what to do.

I'm thinking we could give something else up, or just drink in a lot more moderation than we were pre-Lent, or go back to not drinking, or...

I'm not sure God really cares.

My understanding of Lenten sacrifices is to do something difficult so that when you face the challenge you must turn to God for strength.

Am I right?

And then, God helps you through the trial. It's representative of Jesus's 40 days in the desert, right?

So, if I continue to think about God, but sometimes decide that a drink would be OK, is that insufficiently pious?

Probably.

It's a work in progress, my spiritual life.

No comments: