Friday, April 15, 2011

A churchy little town

It's a churchy little town we live in.

The first morning we woke up here, there was a flier on our door about HOPE (it was all caps). Then it said there would be "great singing, outstanding music, a message of Hope from Matthew 28:1-10--Jesus’ Resurrection - Why It Really Matters."

Justin read it out loud and said, "They put that last?"

I laughed. "Justin, sometimes you're just spot on."

We won't be going to that church.

Then, last night, missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints came by looking, by name, for the teenage girl who used to live here. When I told the young man that she had moved, he told me he was here to share the message of hope... did I want to learn more about... I told him "Thank you, but I'm Christian. I don't believe in... I'm Lutheran."

He asked me if I knew anyone in the area that needed service, "We do service projects. We paint houses..."

"No, thank you. We don't need anything; I don't know, we're just renters," I stumbled, glancing at Ella, who was sitting in her play yard watching skeptically. "Thanks, though."

They left.

Then today, there was a pamphlet from the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Westminster (a couple of towns over). JESUS "TAKES AWAY the SIN of the WORLD." It reads. "How does he do so? Why is this necessary? How can you benefit?" Then it says, "Each year, Jehovah's Witnesses gather to commemorate Juesus' death on its anniversary. This year, the anniversary falls on Sunday, April 17, after sundown."

So now I'm confused. Palm Sunday is April 17. Maundy Thursday is April 21. Good Friday is April 22. Easter is April 24.

Good Friday is April 22, but "the anniversary" is April 17?

There's a banner on Main Street (it really is called that) advertising a Sunrise Service at 7 a.m. on the beach sponsored by the United Methodist Church. Ella and I might go to that. The three of us will all go to the 10:30 service at Our Savior's Lutheran Church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reason Jehovah's witnesses celebrate the memorial of Christ's death on the 17th is because that corresponds to the 14th day of the Jewish month of Nisan. - the night Jesus gave his life.