Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Memorial Day: a good day to stay in and think about sacrifice, or, you know, go to a BBQ.

Of course, we did both. I would have preferred to lie prone on the couch for the day. A girl can dream. (It's actually a good thing I can't do what I want to do--nothing--because I am not sure I would ever get started again.)

So, the BBQ. We met a cousin of my mom's--Lorna--and Rafael at my parents' house. My dad BBQed and my mom made the mashed potatoes, baked beans (from a can--is there any other way?), salad and corn.

Lorna gave Ella a present, which she actually opened herself.




  
Ella wasn't willing to keep the headband that matched the dress on for very long, but she did manage a big grin for a moment.



Lorna was a big hit--I'm sure in part because she is so nice, but also because she let Ella play with her glasses.




Rafael was also quite popular; he seems to love music and dancing. Brought in a Yo-Yo Ma CD and did some samba clapping with Ella. Plus, they played the drums with the cake box cover.





Turned out the cake box top also made a good hat. Though I brought a bag full of Ella's toys, the only thing that came out of it was a book that Lorna read to Ella.



And, just so you know, Ella and I wore very coordinated (but not matching! I haven't completely lost it!) dresses.

No comments: