Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Picking up the Pace

So apparently my method of denial is not going to work.

I don't want Ella to grow up so fast, but I can't actually stop it from happening.

The girl started peeing in the potty all by herself last week. I thought I could go for a while without taking it seriously, but she does it several times a day, so I guess we might as well get her truly potty-trained and get it over with.

I mean, really? Who in their right mind wants to keep changing diapers given the opportunity to stop?

Me.

Potty-training  sounds like a lot of work. I've heard people talk about potty-training boot camp. That's where you let your kid roam around naked for three days and put him on the potty frequently, or something like that. Supposedly, they realize there's pee running down their legs, so they decide they'd rather sit on the potty when they have to pee. Something like that. I've also heard about putting the kid on the potty every hour on the hour. I guess with that method you're just hedging your bets that with a bladder emptied that frequently there won't be pee at, say, 4:27.

Personally, I'm just as happy to change her diaper a few times a day.

But, I mentioned to her Mommy and Me Montessori Preschool teacher that we had the potty-using experience this weekend, and she said we should seize the moment.

I think what I said after I told her The Story of the First Pee was, "I'm not really doing anything about it, I'm just kinda letting it happen."

Now, when I think about it, I probably should start doing something about it. She's not going to totally figure it out without some guidance, right? I need to put her in pull-ups when we go out. I need to buy training pants (the teacher recommended them) for when we're at home. I need to help her recognize that she needs to sit on the potty before it's too late. She has to know how to pull her pants up and down by herself.


Apparently, these Gerber Waterproof Training Pants are going to be one of the keys to our success. The problem with disposable diapers (besides being impossible for her to remove and replace by herself), is that they are so freakishly absorbent these days that kids don't even know they are wet if they are walking around with pants full of pee. It's good for comfort, I suppose, but not so good for realizing what your body is doing and when. So, if she wears these training pants, they will absorb enough pee that she won't be standing there with it running down her leg (I've seen that happen to other kids), but not so much that she will not realize she's wet. Then, and especially with Ella being Ella and her aversion to being dirty (she fell in the park this morning and stood up showing me the grass cuttings on her dewy hands and knees--I had to show her how to wipe her hands on her (white) sweatshirt to dry them off a bit), she'll start realizing that she has to pee and then go to the potty before she gets all wet and uncomfortable.

At least, I think that's how it works.

We'll see how it goes. The preschool teacher recommended trying to learn when she naturally has a bodily function so that I can try to predict it and get her on the potty beforehand. I'm supposed to write down "when it happens" and then, I guess, the next day we can try to have "it happen" on the potty instead of in the diaper.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes.

I got a funny compliment today. At least, I think it was a compliment. "You're giving her so much space," her teacher said to me, while we were all on the playground with the kids. This was the last class of the eight week Mommy and Me Montessori session. I don't remember what I said aloud, but I thought about how we got to this point. Ella can pull herself up on the play equipment now, whereas she used to need me to help her on the ladders to the slides because instead of leaning forward and using her arms to pull herself up and her legs to push herself up, she would lean back, which A) doesn't work at all, B) makes her fall off the ladder. She goes down the slide without falling over, whereas she used to collapse to the side or back and end up thrashing about on her way down. She chases/gets chased by some of the other kids instead of ignoring them, and when she gets pushed (accidentally or on purpose) she stands her ground (or at least doesn't just fall apart).

I have to give her more space.

I need more space.

And, if she's going to start preschool in September and I'm going to LEAVE her with the teacher and five other kids, we're going to have to start working on our separation anxiety.

I already miss her so much.

No comments: