Saturday, November 15, 2014

A quick question before you go: Do you think I have cancer?

I realize that I haven't posted in a while; my apologies to anyone who's been worrying about me and waiting for an update. I'm just going to go in chronological order here, starting with a post from early October that I wrote but forgot to "publish."

 From early October:

The upside to having an ER doctor for a husband, is that when he's had a couple of drinks and he's heading out the door to walk over to a friend's house to hang out and watch the rest of the Angels game, you can slip a medical question casually into conversation.

"Oh, hey... before you go... when the doctor called and said that he hadn't contacted us about the blood test results yet because he was waiting for the fle...cyt... what was it called?"

"F----." (He's not here, and I don't remember, so F---- will have to do.)

"Yeah, that. He said that was the one that checks to see if I have leukemia or something like that. But he said the other tests seemed normal. But didn't he already say that cancer wasn't really a concern? So how important is this test? Does he think I might have cancer?"

"No. You don't have cancer. He can't give you your test results until they're complete. So he can't really say anything yet."

"So I might have cancer?"

"No." He's smiling and looking reassuring and also having those laughing eyes that say I'm so cute and he loves me even though I'm being neurotic.

"Are you just saying that because you're my husband and you're being protective?"

"No. I really believe you do not have cancer."

"Are you just saying that because you want to believe it or because you know it's true?"

Those laughing eyes again. "I believe it."

"So I might have cancer? Why is that one test taking so long to get done?"

He explained that it basically magically separates my blood cells and they go through a tube and they can see what each one looks like. If any of them have cancer.

Something like that.

"So why is it taking so long?"

"Because it's a hard test to do."

"Not because..."

"If he saw something to be concerned about in the other tests, he'd have called."

"Alright, fine. Go watch baseball."

I'm not really worried. I can't possibly have cancer. I don't think it takes them that long to figure that out. And something would have been weird about one of the other tests, right? So it's not that.

Which means it's going to be my meds.

Because it sounds like the other tests ruled out lupus and rheumatoid arthritis or something like that. So then it's some kind of cancer. Or my meds.
 

No comments: